Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Voter Anxiety

Okay....so I'm voting for the 3rd time in my life. I know...pathetic at the age of 28, but I am voting. However, voting in the primaries is now giving me voter anxiety. Not the canidates, not the choice, but the actual physical part of voting. During the primaries I signed in at my old elementary school and one of the old ladies led me to the voter booth fixing the side thingy as per my registry. I was registered Republican (though have since changed since my license photo in July.) During that time in May I did not want to vote Republican so I did that. Well, as I went to pull the lever to get out of the booth (yes they are that old of booths,) I realized I was stuck. My feet were probably seen floating off the ground as I tried desperately to get the curtain open. I started to sweat and quickly started checking all the buttons, directions....there even was an extra lever in there that did something. Long short of it, I pressed a few more buttons and got out. Later that week I went to dinner with a friend and told her the story. She (being an educated voter and voting machine expert unlike myself) let me know that there is no way I should have been able to vote Democrat and informed me that my votes were pretty much null and void and the machine must have been junk. The only thing I was informed on was that yes in fact, the machines were junk. They were the ones that were there when I went to elementary school 20 years ago. My anxiety now leads me to this. They have closed my elementary school and moved my voter place. UGH! Hello?? I've just mastered the first one....now a change. So, here I go again to vote. Sick enough that I almost hope the voting machines have been moved there to have some familiarity.

1 comment:

TheGirlInTheCorner said...

Alas! It was the old voting machines...and this time, I got out!