Sunday, November 14, 2004

Not SoLoner Movie

I went to see Bridget Jones this weekend. So good. And, I ventured by myself. Now my sister prefers the movies alone. Me...ehhh?? I had made a rule that I wouldn't go to the movies by myself anymore, but lately I've been breaking a lot of my standard rules. I made this prior rule because of the first two experiences.
1st: Went to see Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood. UGH!! Total disaster. I had just moved to Richmond (still in pissed off mood because I was emotionally forced to move) and being it was a friendship movie...yeah. Going alone - not the most uplifting thing.
2nd: In between interviews last year I thought, well I'll go to the movies. So, I hit the cheapies and saw Identity. Okay...not a great movie, but totally jumpy. ANDDDDD...I was by myself. Well almost totally. There was one other person in the theater. By the end I had come up with my own movie about the other person in the theater killing me, stuffing me in the 3rd row (because no one sits in the 3rd row) and no one finding me until hours or even days later. I wouldn't be able to call anyone because I'm one of the few people who actually read the "please turn your cell phone off" warnings and would have bled to death while trying to turn on my phone.
At this point I had written off solo movies. With all the girls being too busy to go and a good feeling none of the boys would go see this chick flick with me, I ventured down to the Waterfront to catch the film I've been so eagerly waiting for. It was sooo packed in there (except for the third row.) So I sat between a couple of girls and another solo flyer and enjoyed my movie. I didn't feel so alone however because the girl next to me kept talking out to the movie. Normally this would bother me, but she pretty much was just verbalizing the thoughts in my head. If I would have been there with a friend, this probably would have driven me nuts. However, it was kind of amusing. There actually were a lot of solo flyers that day in the theater as I left. I guess really I wasn't alone in going alone.
Lesson learned: I will continue to see movies alone...however, no scary movies. I still have nightmares about that afternoon.

1 comment:

Lesterhead said...

I can't wait to see Bridget Jones! There are many things I do alone (and enjoy doing alone). Movies are one of them. I draw the line at eating dinner out alone though.