Sunday, January 16, 2005

Wee Will-He Winkle?

I've joined the world of online dating. Yes, folks I'm part of the new generation of dating. I'm still not sure of it as yet. I've just finished checking mymatch.com section and I've received 17 "winks." I will admit that when I first put my profile on I was worried that I would receive no response from anyone. Now I'm kind of skeeved out because of the "winks" I am getting. It's only been 2 days my profile has been on. Is it because it's so passive the way that people "approach" you on this dating enterprise? Trust me, I've NEVER been approached in a bar or other entertainment outings this way. I have only responded to one of them as a "no, thanks" (um, 44 year-old man in FL...ick) because I'm not sure I want to go through with this thing yet. I will be responding to 2 more of them as "no thanks" as one is a 67-year old man in Cairo and another 26-year old man in London. Thanks guys, but my days of a mail-order bride are over. That was so 1999.

So I guess I'm taking suggestions on how to approach this online dating experience. It almost feels invading to me. Do men wink more at women? How many people do they potentially wink at in a night? Week? etc... I also have a few that did not put a picture on. I'm a little weirded out about that thinking--what are they trying to hide? I think if you're going to go to the trouble of putting a profile on, why not a picture? It's all so overwhelming, too. Meanwhile, I've been bitching about not going on a date for 3 years and when it's in my face, I freeze. Am I really the commitment phobe that the online quizzes say I am? Shit, Molly. You only have to "wink" at them...not have their babies!!

Sidenote...
Thank God it's snowing. In the words of my friend, Katie, "I was starting to think I was missing a season." I do love all the seasons which is one reason I enjoy this area of the US. I walked Neville this evening and the snow was so beautiful. It almost looked like a Disney movie the way it sparkled. Pretty. Tomorrow is off for MLK day. Do you think we could squeeze in a 2-hour delay on Tuesday?? Yeah, I know. Pathetic.

1 comment:

Lesterhead said...

Ug- don't get me started on the winks. I'll write you a separate email about my findings later today.