Monday, September 20, 2004

If you had 10 minutes...

If everyone had 10 minutes left to live, every phone booth would be filled with people calling everyone to say "I love you." So why wait for a catastrophe. ~Ann Landers

Tonight I'm visiting the funeral home for a friend from high school. Derek Homistek. He died suddenly on Friday (talk initially was a heart attack however, I don't believe the autopsy reports have been released.) It's almost surreal that someone my age has passed away due to an illness. I suppose I've been very lucky to have really never experienced this. At 28...people aren't supposed to die. Yes, accidents happen and maybe I'm more prepared for an accidental death at this age as opposed to one of illness. But, old people die of illness. Grandparents and parents die of illness. Not young 28 year old kids. I still consider myself a kid at 28. I'll probably still consider myself a kid at 40.
I remember Derek from junior high when I was a statistician for the basketball team. He had a pretty deep voice for a kid in junior high. He was pretty reserved and quiet, but had a nice smile and a crew cut. (The picture in the newspaper of him I swear showed wavy hair...oh how we change, eh?) I always use to giggle (and still do when I think about it) when he would be ready to go into the game. He was one of the only players that would be very focused and intent on going in the game. Never failed, he would crouch down on one knee and (in his very deep voice for an early teenage boy) say, "I'm goin' in." I remember my friend Mitzie and I repeating it because it sounded so silly. I suppose that was a glimpse into the focus and dedication he put into his life...after reading his obituary, I was quite impressed, but not really surprised of all that he did.

Derek Richard Homistek, age 28, of Uniontown, Pa., passed away suddenly on Friday morning, September 17, 2004.
He was born October 28, 1975, in Uniontown, Pa., the son of Richard Homistek and Cheryl Slater Homistek.Derek was a member of Saint John The Evangelist Roman Catholic Church.He graduated from Laurel Highlands Senior High School where he was a member of the football team and a member of The National Honor Society.He earned Eagle Scout Rank with the Boy Scouts of America and was a member of The Order of The Arrow.Derek graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Bethany College in Bethany, West Virginia, and was a member of the football team and also Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity.He received a Masters Degree in Education from West Virginia University.Derek was employed as a Teacher with the Albert Gallatin School District.He was an American History Scholar, American Civil War Living History Actor, and a member of The 11th Pennsylvania Company.He enjoyed mountain biking, fishing and snow boarding.Derek was a volunteer at Fort Necessity as a Living Historian.He also coached football at Morgantown High School in West Virginia.Derek was preceded in death by his Grandfather, Stephen Homistek, Great Grandmother, Anna Schifko, Great Grandfather, William Schifko, Great Grandmother, Ann Slater, and Great Grandfather, Andrew Slater.In addition to his loving and devoted Parents, he is survived by his loving and beautiful Bride-to-be, Elaine Chabanik; his Brother, Ryan Homistek and his fianc?e, Gretchen Long; his Sister, Lesley Homistek; Paternal Grandmother, Kay Homistek; Aunt, Mary Beth Homistek; Maternal Grandfather, Edmund Slater; Maternal Grandmother, Dorothy Slater; Aunts and Uncles: Janet and Richard Kettering and Jarred and Karen Slater, Cousins: Jason Kettering, Jeremy Kettering and Ian Slater; several other Friends, Neighbors and Students whom he cherished; his In-Laws-to-be whom he loved, William and Cathy Chabanik; and his Brother-in-Law-to-be and Sister-in-Law-to-be, Sam and Victoria (Chabanik) Denny.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i too went to his funeral. i was Derek's best friend in college. He was a great man. he always thought of others before himself. if you were down he would always have time for you to help with any problem he had. he was my concience when i would stray from the path of my life by giving a reality check. but of all the accompishments i may achieve in my life, the most cherished is having Derek Homistek as my friend.