Sunday, August 08, 2004

Blog: Perplexed and the City

So...as I mentioned before, strange things usually happen to me. My friend and I went to NYC this weekend to do some shopping. Macy's? Tiffany? Prada? Gucci? Well....sorta. Let's just say we're doing the look for less. Much less. And, going to places that young, hot girls like ourselves shouldn't go. Anyway. Our adventure starts in Havre De Grace, MD where my sister lives. We head off to the city around 7:30 with about a 2 hour drive ahead of us. Plans are to go in, get our shopping done in 3 hours or less and have lunch with Dan in Brooklyn. As we're heading toward the city I get a small wave of panic that I have to drive into there in my parents Caravan. (We are REALLY shopping.) Oh shit, I think. And then I'm like....wait a minute. I can drive in downtown (or for you yinzers "dahntahn") Pittsburgh with no problem. This will be easy. I'm serious about this because for those of you who haven't driven amongst the hilled, oneway streeted, no square blocked, built on three rivers city, another city such as NYC may seem overwhelming. Though I was nervous at first, I think the whole confidence of "I can do it" took over. Regardless....we made it to the Holland Tunnel where the cashier person (a man) looks at me and says, "you have EZpass." I reply, "no I don't." He then coyly smiles and says, "yes, you do." {Strange thing one} So I smile and drive on through thinking damn I must look good. Or, my fantasy of "maybe he thinks I'm famous." Either way I've just saved $6. My friend and I head into an undisclosed location in middle Manhatten to start our adventure. 3-4 trips back to the car we're finished. AND....one of our lovely sales people actually carried our bags to our car!! For those of you that know what kind of shops I've been in, this doesn't happen. {Strange thing two) So, Shonda and I call it a day and take the train to Brooklyn to meet Dan for lunch and a drink. Another drink. Eight drinks later we're laughing, telling funny stories, hugging goodbye and back to shop at a pit stop in Chinatown, pick up a few things and take the (wrong) train back to our parking lot where we meet our (once) cheerful parking attendent. "Do you know what time I close?" uh....10? I replied. NO! 6:00. .........it's 10:15 by the way. So, I appologize look at the sign below him that says that it doesn't close at 6:00 and tip him an extra 9 bucks to shut him up. Hey...he said he told us, but like the Holland Tunnel man, I think he was stunned with my beauty. {Weird thing three} heh, heh, heh. We end up back home around 1:30, tired, hungry and groggy. It's amazing how shopping, drinks, friends and an angry parking attendent can really take it out of you. By the way...it was really great visiting with Dan. I wish he lived next door.

No comments: