Monday, August 27, 2007

Snail Mail

I think Snail Mail should make a comeback. I'm just as guilty as the next, but really nothing is better than getting an old-fashioned, handwritten letter in the mail. When I was in grade school and even in high school my best friend and I used to send each other mail. Sometimes it was for no reason, often it was if we were having a "fight." We never really fought though--we were way too passive for that. I remember writing to her when her parents seperated. Her dad had moved out and she hadn't said anything. I wrote her a simple letter letting her know I knew what had happened, and in that one page...the air seemed to clear and the wall was knocked down. Why don't we send letters anymore to say what we really feel?

I bring this up because one of my friends just sent a letter. An actual letter. He met this guy in California, hit it off and has kept in rough touch with him. A few emails, some texts (still my favorite passive way of flirting,) an occasional phone call. After a weekend meet up, he sat down, wrote a letter and kind of let the boy have it: all his feelings on one (or two) pages. Sigh...if only we could do that all the time. I've typed plenty of emails, but I think the fact that you can delete, backspace, cut and paste makes it easy to edit feelings. Ink and paper is so, well, more permanent. Even with this blog I tend to edit. I should quit editing these entries. Spelling, grammar, typos, etc. Maybe then I'll get the candidness I feel these entries are missing. Maybe I should go back to journaling--onpaper in addition to online. An old typewriter...is that the answer? I don't know if I could even type on a manual typewriter anymore.

I'm looking for new links, topics, etc. If you're lurking...leave a comment. Maybe I'll write you a letter.

No comments: