Thursday, August 16, 2007

The One: Is it worth it?

In the slew of weddings I've been invited to this summer, I started to ask the question: "Do you really know when it's The One?"

When I asked the question the answers I started getting were all yes in words like

"I don't know. I just knew."

or

"It was weird. Different."

So...do you really just know? I'm not so sure. In the past I thought I knew it was The One. Well, really one or possibly two of them. There were a few that I was hoping was The One, but I think that was due to insecurity of losing a boyfriend and having to find a new one.

I don't know if it is love at first sight all the time. Sure, it can happen, but is it realistic? For everyone? I don't think for everyone. This brings me to my next question....

When is it worth pursuing?

I always question myself in relationships being that I don't have the best track record of success. I often think I'm old fashioned even stating that "I will not call/email/text first," yet inevitably I often do make the first move. In the past five years I've made many first moves, had them blow up in my face, and yet still put myself back into the line of fire. Why? Not sure. Sometimes I feel like if I don't make the first move, will they? I don't know. So how do you know when it's worth pursuing? Is it that same feeling of The One? Not that you have to think it's The One to make the first move (trust me I didn't feel like that the past five years.)

I don't want to disclose too much of the person as I'm not ready to do that (maybe the BrooklynJay Jinx Theory?) So, here I am again...making first moves. Why? Because I feel like it's worth it. Something inside of me is saying, "This is worth it. I don't know. I just know. It's weird. Different."

Maybe that's it? Trusting your self. Your instinct.

I'm not saying that this is The One...I still don't know if I buy that theory. But, I definitely feel it's worth it.

No comments: